How To Make Ombre Sugar Hearts
I am loving these little sugar hearts! I made these a while ago for a cake and took some photos along the way and then promptly forgot about them! Luckily for you I stumbled across them and made this cutie patootie tutorial for you.
And the best part….they are super easy and you probably have everything you need for them in your cupboard!
You will need
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup Sanding Sugar or Wilton White Sparkling Sugar, Net Wt. 8 oz.
gel colour ( I used Wilton 610-401 Icing Gel, 1-Ounce, Rose)
1. Mix the two sugars together
2. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with the colouring and mix through thoroughly. This will be your darkest colour.
3. Add half a cup of the leftover sugar to make your next colour. Repeat adding the non coloured sugar until you have your desired number of ombre shades.
4. Mix the egg white through until your mixture resembles breadcrumbs. You don’t want the mix to be so wet that the sugar melts but moist enough that your sugar will hold together.
5. Take a tray lined with baking paper and start to spread out your sugar mixes
6. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture in firmly.
7. Ensure the sugar is tightly packed
8. Once you have all your sugar packed in tightly, place another piece of baking paper on the top of the sugar and then use your rolling pin to flatten the sugar mixture
9. Using a small heart cutter, cut out your sugar hearts
10. Heat your oven to 90 degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and let sit overnight to harden.
11. And voila! You have delicious sugar hearts to decorate your cakes, sprinkle on cupcakes, cookies or pop into treat bags.