I went to Fiji for about 8 hours on Christmas eve 2013……..Random, I know. It was a cruise stop off.
- 1¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup custard powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Maldon or Himalayan salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1¾ cups caster sugar
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup dark rum (recommended: Fijian Rum)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- extra caster sugar and cinnamon to dust baking tin
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark rum
- Preheat your oven to 165°C. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan, very well. Dust with caster sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, custard powder, baking powder and salt. Set this aside.
- In a large bowl with a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar using the whisk attachment until light and fluffy. Add the dry flour mix to this. It will resemble fine bread crumbs.
- In the bowl that just had the flour mix, whisk together the vegetable oil, milk, eggs, rum, and vanilla extract. Add this to the crumb mixture and beat until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When there are about 15 minutes remaining on the timer, start the butter rum syrup. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter, water, sugar and salt until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the rum. Don’t do this whilst it is on the gas. It will catch fire!
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan. You will need to trim any excess cake where the cake may have risen to allow it to sit flat when inverted. Place the cake back into the pan. Poke holes into the cake and pour the syrup slowly over the cake. Remove the cake and invert on your serving plate. Pour any remaining syrup over the top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Warm Spiced Milk with Rum
- 60 ml Fijian Rum or any dark Rum
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 dash Pure vanilla extract
- 200 ml milk
- Cinnamon Stick
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg powder to serve
Gently warm in a saucepan with a cinnamon stick. Once the milk is warm, not boiling, stir through the rum and remove from the heat.
Garnish with a light dusting of freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon.