A classic and timeless sponge cake recipe from Suzanne Cremona, mother of Adam Cremona.
This cake took it’s pride and place on so many cake and dessert tables at so many birthdays, afternoon teas and even a First Holy Communion party throughout my childhood. My mum was famous for this cake and for very good reason! It’s feather light and its virtually fool proof to make. The addition of fresh strawberries as well as the traditional strawberry jam and cream is what makes this humble cake extra special. – Adam Cremona
When beating the eggs and sugar you want to get it done quickly but don’t beat it too hard. You want this cake to be lovely and light.
Don’t make a coffee whilst in the middle of making this cake. Get it done and in the oven!
Make this cake on the day that you are going to eat it. A sponge should be eaten fresh!
Adam’s Mum’s Sponge Cake Recipe
5 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
pinch of salt
¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
1¼ cups (185g) self raising flour, triple sifted
½ cup (160g) strawberry jam, warmed slightly
1¼ cups (310ml) thickened (heavy) cream, whipped
250g (8 ounces) strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
icing sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease and line base and sides of deep 22cm round cake pan.
- Beat egg yolks, oil, vanilla and salt in electric mixer about 5 minutes or until mixture is very pale and creamy.
- Beat egg whites in clean bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, one spoonful at a time; beating until sugar dissolves. Gently fold half the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture, followed by the remaining half, folding until mixture is just combined. Sift flour over the egg mixture and gently fold in until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake cake for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed gently in the centre with your finger tips. Turn cake, top-side up, immediately onto baking paper lined cooling wrack and allow to cool completely.
- Cut cooled cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layer on serving plate and spread with the warmed jam. Arrange the sliced strawberries over the jam and top with the cream. Place the remaining cake layer on top and serve dusted with icing sugar.
prep & cook time 50 minutes (+ cooling time) serves 12
This recipe is from “For The Love of Cake” which is now available to preorder in our online store